An introduction to the School:
The school provides a high standard of training in Classical Ballet, American Tap, Hip Hop,Contemporary, Modern and Jazz. We encourage all students to realise their full potential within a positive environment. The classes are fun whilst achieving exceptional results.
Children are accepted from the age of three years.
The Dorothy Coleborn School of Dancing was founded in 1920 by Dorothy Coleborn and the family tradition is continued by her daughter Annabel and her grand-daughter Annette.
The School enjoys wonderful purpose built facilities with two large studios, large reception area and newly refurbished changing rooms.
Classes are held everyday. All our teachers have an exceptional wealth of experience in Dance and we aim to provide the best possible training for each student.
The dancing school has recently benefited from a major refurbishment in 2014 providing the pupils with individual changing cubicles, three separate waiting areas, optional video link to studio one and a large well stocked office. The two studios allow the students to enjoy a fully sprung floor, mirrors and fixed barres. The building is located in parkland enabling free parking.
A SHort History:
The school originally named ‘The Dainty Dots’ was founded in 1920 by Dorothy Whittle, then aged 14, after her father refused to allow her to go onto the professional stage, even though she had been invited to perform with Gracie Fields. The family moved around the country, including Scotland where she learned Highland dancing.
After her marriage she lived in London, then Weston-super-mare, and finally settled in Bath in the early 1940s where she continued to teach. Her classes at Locksbrook Hall proved so popular that after only nine months in Bath her first display at the Pump Rooms was a sell out and people had to be turned away from the doors. The school by this time was called ‘The Mighty Atoms’ but with the exploding of the atom bomb Mrs Coleborn felt that the name was inappropriate and the school became ‘The Dorothy Coleborn School of Dancing’.
A change of venue became necessary because the hall at Locksbrook leaked badly and dripped onto the baby (Annabel!), thus leading to the purchase of 33 Englishcombe Lane in 1946 which provided teaching space as well as accommodation for the family. The school continued to grow, gradually taking up more and more space on the ground floor until maximum capacity was reached.
Over the years Mrs Coleborn became less involved in teaching, although she played the piano for many classes until she retired. The day to day running of the school and teaching passed to her daughter Annabel. Annabel’s daughter, Annette, started teaching at the school during her three year dance teacher training, and then in 1985 qualified in not only Ballet, Tap and Modern but also in National. Teaching full time since which time the school has grown enormously, and she and Annabel are now the school’s joint Principles.
Sadly Mrs Coleborn never lived to see our wonderful new premises, which would have far exceeded her wildest dreams for the School, and when we moved in 1993 number 33 became a residential home for the elderly.
Over the years the School has raised many thousands of pounds for local charities, and equally thousands of children have passed through our hands (or feet!) and now we are seeing the children and grandchildren of former pupils come into our classes!